5 Sure-Fire Ways to Write a Smashing Blog Post

Believe it or not, writing good blog posts is a thing people get paid to do in the real world! For example, businesses often have a blog as a way of connecting with existing and potential customers in a forum that is friendly and accessible. And it’s not just businesses that use blogs – our school even has its own blog, to keep people updated on all of the great things that happen at SACS. You can check it out here if you like: http://www.sacs.nsw.edu.au/

The question is though, given how many squillions of words out there on the Internet, how do you make your words engaging for your audience? I’ve done the hard yards for you by researching this very question, and have discovered 5 sure-fire ways to write a SMASHING blog post. So here they are…

This is what Nigel Thornberry will say about your blog post once you follow these 5 steps!

1. Write a Magnetic Title

What does a magnet do? It attracts metal. What should your title do? Attract your reader’s attention. There are a few ways you can do this.

• Make it a list. Such as “10 tips for…” , “5 reasons why…” I’m not sure why, but for some reason this works – if you have a theory why, feel free to comment below. BuzzFeed is a classic example – it is truly buzzing with lists, and therefore, lots of audience attention.
  • Use strong language. Obviously not swear words, but words that have some punch to them. I’ve done it in my title here – “sure-fire” and “smashing” evoke strong images in your mind. Don’t overdo this one though – if everything is bold, nothing is bold.
  • Make it personal. Like “Why I think cricket is the best sport in the universe”. The reason this is magnetic is because your audience are interested in you!
  • Have fun with alliteration. For example, I could have made the title for this post “A foolproof formula for writing wonderful blog posts”. Poetic isn’t it? 🙂

2. Draw your reader in further with your Opening Line

Just like the opening lines of a novel can determine whether you decide to read it or not, the opening line of a blog should be crafted to hook your audience into reading the rest. These are not rules, but just some suggestions if you’re not sure how to do this.

• Ask a Question. This question could be the type that has only one answer, like, “Do you want to know how to write a great opening line?” – the trick with this technique is that you’ve got your reader responding in his or her mind – a nice little hook! Or, you could ask an intriguing question, “What do The Hunger Games and basketball have in common?”. You want to know don’t you? 😉
  • Say something unexpected. Make sure it’s related to your post though. For example, you could open a post about The Simpsons with “Cowabunga!”
  • Tell a story. “When I was 6 I would take about 10 soft toys and dolls to bed. I was worried that they would suffocate under the covers, so would make sure that each of them had their heads propped above the doona so they could breathe.” True story about me! People like stories – they can give your post authenticity and personality.

3. Make sure your blog post has a Point

As you are writing it ask yourself these questions:

• What am I trying to communicate?
  • What impact will I have on my reader?
  • How will this benefit my reader?

4. Include an Image

Make it relevant to the topic of your post!

5. Make it easy to follow

Three things to be mindful of here:

• Read it over in your head (or out loud) – make sure all of your sentences make sense.
  • Be yourself. Write like you speak. This makes your blog feel more personal.
  • Space it out. Write in short paragraphs – it’s a lot easier to read than massive chunks of writing. Use subheadings if necessary. Embolden, italicise or use ALL CAPS on some words for emphasis.

…and a sneaky 6th suggestion for writing smashing blog posts… Don’t write too much!

…which is why I’ve snuck this in as a 6th point – I’m being ironic because I’ve written exactly 722 words here, which is a pretty long post. Ideally you want to aim for about 300 – 400 max.

Good luck with your blogging!

Time to get blogging!

One thought on “5 Sure-Fire Ways to Write a Smashing Blog Post